[Nottingham] samba/pam

Mike Cardwell mike at blubbernet.com
Sun Jan 2 14:58:38 GMT 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> ...so the users aren't UNIX users at all; do we assume at this point that
> there's no corresponding UID/GID in the PAM database?

Um. Yes. I guess os.

> If that's the case, how does samba know who to give/not give file access
> permissions to?

I was hoping it would just give every user root permissions for a start. I
was gonna change that. I originally used the "force user" and "force
group" options to try and specify the uid/gid to use but it didn't change
anything, so I took it out.

> It could be the case that the auth is actually working, but it fails to
> complete inside samba because it cannot map the user correctly - as you
> knocked guest access on the head, that would very much be the case.

That's where I think it's failing. Somewhere inside samba. I think the
pam/mysql stuff is ok.

> Try with "guest ok = yes", and see what happens.

Didn't make any difference.

> Failing that, strace is probably your best friend here.

I gave that one a try too, but there's a lot of output and I couldn't get
any useful info out of it.

> Therein lies one of the problems of PAM - it's so pluggable and modular it
> gets stupidly complex at times!

Don't suppose there are any Samba/PAM books at work? ;) I've wasted hours
trying to find a solution on google, and I *really* want to get this
working.

--
Digital photo printing:
http://www.fotoserve.com/?affiliate_id=1093871459