[Nottingham] Further KDE tweaking

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 15:23:50 BST 2005

OK, so I'm pretty much sold on KDE - you can do pretty much anything you want (if you can work out how to set it up). I've got a problem with a taskbar applet though.

I'm working on a laptop, and having had it switch itself off for want of a battery monitor I had a look at adding one to the Ksysguard applet, and now can't get it to work at all! The standalone application works fine, but having removed all the monitors, whenever I drag a new sensor to the applet I get a 'connection host - KDE panel' window. This already has the host set to 'localhost', and a series of connection options: ssh, rsh, daemon or custom command. I've tried each of these (but didn't add a command to custom) and each time I get a disconnected symbol in the graph and no info. The sensors tab in the prefernces menu for this non-working graph says there is an error, but gives no more information.

I'm guessing I have to set something to connect correctly to the localhost, but can't find anything on the applet in the help, and the closest thing from google is an unsresolved SUSE post with exactly the same problem. In the meantime I've got gkrellm working, but I would much rather have an applet up and running than a  seperate window.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks again,

Dave

PS Good news on the patents :-) the works not finished, but at least we're not hung-out yet...