[Nottingham] samba and my rapidy unravelling sanity...

Roger Light rogerlight at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:00:50 BST 2005

On 13/07/05, David Wolfson <eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am going bonkers. Why on earth should a samba password change throw all the printing
> out the window? Other than a couple of niggles (e.g. never decreasing list of old jobs)

Could it be that the windows people had the samba password for the
printer stored on their machines and now no longer have the correct
access? I did have a similar problem when my samba access was
incorrectly configured and trying to connect to the printer wouldn't
even ask for a password but navigating to \\samba_server in explorer
would ask for a password.

> I can get IPP to run properly.

How doesn't it work? I presume you are trying to add a printer,
choosing network printer entering a URL like

http://printer_server:631/printers/printer_name

If you are getting "Access denied" dialog boxes then you've either got
cups set up to be too restrictive *or* it is denying access to the
proxy server. Yes, if IE has a proxy server set up then it will try
and connect through the proxy to the above address. I did run into
this as well.

Cheers,

Roger