[Nottingham][OT] Laptop Advice

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:13:52 BST 2005

Hi List,

sorry for once again posting off-topic but I need some advice and where
else is a padwan geek to turn to?

I am looking to buy a new laptop with a bit of last-ability and I want
said laptop to run Linux without too much poking.
For e.g my current laptop the wifi and trackpad don't work out of the
box and I haven't had much time for them...

I went into PC World and spotted this which appears quite a bargain:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0829168101.1121693685@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddfejjgmhjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=322370&category_oid=-15257&fm=0&sm=1&tm=0

Intel Pentium M 750 Processor 1.86GHz
512 Mb RAM
100 Gb Hard Drive
DVD ReWriter Multi Drive
15.4" Widescreen BrightView display
128Mb Intel 900 integrated graphics
15.4" Widescreen With the shiny stuff

Now looking at it I would be inclined to assume it would work under linux,
after all intel hardware seems pretty well supported.
*However* the model isn't listed at linux-laptop.net and I am loathe to buy
it without some advice.

In short can anyone give me an opinion on whether this will work OK and if unsure
can anyone recommend a similar spec machine that works great with Linux?

Thanks in advance and apologies again for it being off-topic.

Best

Joshua