[Nottingham][OT] Laptop Advice

Richard Morris richard at tannery.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 22:44:42 BST 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 14:43, Joshua Lock wrote:

> I went into PC World and spotted this which appears quite a bargain:
> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@082916
>8101.1121693685@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddfejjgmhjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Produ
>ct&sku=322370&category_oid=-15257&fm=0&sm=1&tm=0
>
> Intel Pentium M 750 Processor 1.86GHz
> 512 Mb RAM
> 100 Gb Hard Drive
> DVD ReWriter Multi Drive
> 15.4" Widescreen BrightView display
> 128Mb Intel 900 integrated graphics
> 15.4" Widescreen With the shiny stuff
>

> In short can anyone give me an opinion on whether this will work OK and if
> unsure can anyone recommend a similar spec machine that works great with
> Linux?

Joshua,

If you want to check it and make sure, probably the easiest way is to take a
copy of your favorite live CD (mine is Auditor
http://new.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Auditor_main) into PCW and ask them
if you can try it to make sure.

With most HP/Compaq and Toshiba laptops everything works except for the SD
card drive. This site has some information that may be of some use for you,
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com, there are some models similar to the one
that you are looking at.

Regards,

Richard