[Nottingham] Voting

James Green jkg at jimbo.org.uk
Thu Jul 21 00:39:28 BST 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:29:59AM +0100, Michael Simms wrote:

> I also had expected at least time enough to allow everyone to vote.
> Personally I feel that a window of just over 4 hours is a joke. I would
> expect well over 75% of the LUG either a) has a job and so wouldnt be
> able to vote during those hours, or b) is a student and probably would
> have had some kind of educational commitment during those hours..

Most students don't have educational commitments on July 20th. However,
most of us do get jobs over the summer, and a lot of students lose
access to email over the summer.

Also, a lot of people don't check their email every 4 hours! I certainly
don't; I'm at the computer for a lot of the day, but check email maybe
twice a day at most. It's too big a timesink as it is, checking more
often would eat up all my time...

I was undecided on whether I should vote, or whether I was even
eligible, having been to all of one meeting, and only skimreading the
list these days, but it would have been nice to have the chance if I had
decided to.

I doubt the brief voting period was intended to skew the result in any
way, so I certainly would agree it's not malicious or underhanded, but
it seems truly bizarre that things have worked out like this...

*shrug*

James
--
jkg((-.+)?@(|the\.)earth.li|@(jimbo|wonky)\.org\.uk|03u at cs\.nott\.ac\.uk)
He jests at scars who never felt a wound.