[Nottingham] AGM - Candidates and How to Vote (email vote deadline 5pm)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 16:01:00 BST 2005

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
[---]
>> the election would be run is going to winge about the considerable work
>> done by others because they didn't quite get it right.
[---]
> As has been acknowledged elsewhere, mistakes have been made and people
> will want to assert their rights as subscribers to the mailing list in
> order to make their displeasure known. As long as that displeasure isn't
[---]
> I have to admit that I am slightly disappointed by what's happened over
> the last 48 or so hours, as it has shown (in my opinion) what has
> previously been a fairly happy LUG not to be the case. If you're now
[---]

(Warning, the 'royal' 'we' is used in places!)

For the 'election organising', you can blame me if you wish. You can
also directly include yourself and everyone else in the group for
'whatever or not'. The run up was fully in the open on this list and on
the nlug_geeks list. There was continuous opportunity for others to take
interest and get involved.

As events unfolded, the initially well laid plans got a little cramped
from Monday to roll into the day itself on Wednesday. I'll agree that a
full clear 24 hours should be allowed for email voting. Then also, those
interested could turn up on the night or phone someone going there to
offer a proxy.

Overall, for our first attempt and for those that volunteered in
whatever way, I feel we made a good effort. For next time, we've learnt
and perhaps we should be a little more pushy to get things and people in
place.

We've had the vote as fairly as circumstances allowed, and openly. I
feel that we should run with the results.

My one question regards the tie between Roger & myself for Sec and how
that was/should be resolved?

Regardless, the core group of NLUG that are ACTIVE should continue as
always. Now we have the big advantage of some 'minimal officialdom' so
that we can keep other more officious organisations also 'happy' for our
advantage.

Congrats to Rob and Michael.

Lets get something done: A calendar and website revamp for starters? And
co-opt some NLUG activists?

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk