[Nottingham] HDD bit flips: Anyone seen this before?!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 21:59:19 BST 2005

A few months ago, I copied the contents of one HDD onto a new 200GB HDD
via tar. I also verified the files to make sure that the copy had been
successful "tar -d".

The new HDD has been read a few times, but not written to.

I've just now done a file compare again _before_ making a new backup and...

Nearly 200 files give a failed comparison. Looking at two of them, they
have just one bit that has been flipped (md5sum and then cmp to look).

Anyone seen a HDD randomly flip single bits in a file?

The data was consistent over three checks. The source compares ok
against a second older backup. Rewriting those files have so far checked
ok twice.

Any comments?

(All on Reiserfs.)

martin at ml1.co.uk