[Nottingham] Downloading multiple images from a website

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 16:48:44 BST 2005

James Green said:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 02:21:06PM +0100, Robert Hart wrote:
>
>> or maybe
>>   wget --wait=10 \
>>     http://blah/{,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}{,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} \
>>     {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}.jpg
>
> This never picks up, for instance, 100.jpg. Also pictures from 10 to 99
> get picked up twice.
>
> "seq 0 999" is almost certainly the way to go here :-)
>
> James

If only for clarity and debugging, "seq 0 999" is better.

The curl example given earlier was much cleaner, though. It worked
successfully but where the "seq 0 999" and wget win is that curl doesn't
recognise a 404 response and so I have a large number of files named
???.jpg whose contents are actually the html of the site's 404 page.

C'est la vie. At least I got the files I was after.

-Penfold.