[Nottingham] [MEETING] Wed 15 June 2005 - The NLUG Constitution

Michael perl at tecspy.com
Fri Jun 3 17:55:45 BST 2005

Michael Quaintance wrote:
> You asked for it...
> I ask this only as a question, definitely NOT a request or even a
> suggestion.
> Is it required/useful to define the terms "Free" and "Open Source"?

I'd say that the constitution really isn't the place to define these
terms. I'm working on a document that defines these and other terms
which will be available on the website.

> I only ask as I am a *BSD user by preference (although likely a linux
> developer by occupation soon) and so my normal definition of "free" is
> not quite what RMS would use to describe it. That said, this is a
> 'Linux' group, it says so in the title and I am quite happy with the
> GPL. I use lots of GPL code but prefer to use more permissive licences
> where it is practical to do so.

The libre/gratis dual meaning will always cause confusion in our
language! The term "Open Source" is quite well defined already.

> I especially do NOT wish this to become a licence flame war. I'm happy
> with my choice and hope that others are happy with theirs, whatever that
> choice may be.

Let us not venture into the license war zone.

> There was a discussion the other day on /. about the relative merits of
> supporting alternative platforms which is why I also asked about
> defining "Open Source". Does this include the use of e.g. Firefox,
> OpenOffice.org, Audacity, VLC, etc on non-free platforms? Obviously
> Microsoft Windows is the most likely but the line gets even more blurred
> with Mac OS X and Solaris, etc where UN*X is not so far away from the user.

We're not talking about in any way _excluding_ the users of non-free
software from our group activities (impossible, impractical,
indefensible!). I sure as hell wouldn't like our group to be taken over
by to be overrun with windows usage discussions, but if that's what the
majority of the members want :) well, they can vote for it...

We all generally use a computing platform that includes software with a
whole variety of licenses (even if they're all GPL variants!). I'm
delighted when a good piece of open source software gets the attention
it deserves and being cross-platform just increases the appeal, gives
some leverage and makes crossing over easier!

> This may all be a non-issue but the thought occurred to me and the email
> asked for comments...
>
> Cheers and feel free to ignore my ramblings.
>
> -Penfold.

All thoughts appreciated.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.