[Nottingham] ODBC loadbalancing....

Colin Saxton colin.saxton at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 9 09:23:41 BST 2005

Never had to do something like this but if I can it would be nice...I
have a number of legacy C applications that connect through ODBC to a
Microsoft SQL server db, note the word legacy ;). I have a number of
Linux clients that are connecting to an application server using an
in-house thin client (again this is legacy code that is at some point
going to be replaced with a browser front-end).

The thin clients open connections to the application server which
launches a c application. This in turn creates an odbc connection so for
every application that is open a connection to the database is also open
and there is the problem. Although I can cluster the application servers
with the c applications they all create a single connection to the
database. Does anyone have any knowledge of a product that can share
connections through ODBC. I guess it would have to somehow know which
connection in the connection pool is not part of a transaction and pass
that to the calling app when any SQL is performed...I could write this
myself but if it is all ready there then why bother...Bit of an in-depth
question for this time in the morning...sorry guys...

This would help me support the legacy system until it can be replaced.