[Nottingham] lost kde after changing display settings

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Wed Jun 22 21:07:49 BST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 19:47, Sarah Swindell wrote:
> I am now only presented with a command prompt "tty1" asking me
> for my username and password. I can't get KDE to start up at all.

Excellent advice from the others, but as you may know even less about
Linux than I do, here's something very basic that might be helpful.

There are a number of "terminals" running under LInux: tty1, tty2, tty3
and so on. You switch between them by holding down Ctrl+Alt and
pressing F1 (for tty1), F2 (for tty2), etc. The X server (that gives us
that pretty GUI) is usually on tty7. If you are seeing tty1 for the
first time it suggests that the X server configuration has been broken,
and the system has transferred you to the first terminal that is still
working.

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK