[Nottingham] Re: Linux / Windoze dual boot

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sat Jun 25 12:14:36 BST 2005

Hi David,

> With a change round / replacement of various computers in the offing,
> I'm  tring to remember how to get dual booting with Linux and a
> certain  proprietary system.
>
> IIRC, the process is:
>
> Install Windows.
> Deal with partitions.
> Install Linux.

I would transpose your first and second items there if poss; certainly
if you need to recover space from the partition you intend to
install Windows on.

> What I'm trying to remember is how the Mandrake installer deals with
> finding  Windows on the computer - does it handle partitioning
> automagically, or do I  need to provide myself with a DOS
> non-destructive partitioning tool first?

It gives you a choice between automagic, which I've never actually
tried, and organising the partitions yourself from a nice friendly
GUI, which is safe if you're reasonably careful, and which I'd
recommend. It will warn you that it's going to format a partition
before it does so and give you a chance to change your mind. It will
set up the dual boot menu for you; it's all nice and easy.

James

--
Dig It : a forum for European Beatles fans - http://beatles.dyndns.org/