[Nottingham] Local server

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Jun 26 21:57:41 BST 2005

I'm looking at setting up a machine as a server for my local LAN.  Ideally, it
will provide POP mail services to all users on the LAN, DNS, a newsserver,
and a web cache.

The DNS, newsserver and web cache functionality looks fairly easy to set up:
POP mail (collecting mail from my ISP, with spam and virus filtering, and
sending any mail generated from the A via the ISP) looks more complex - I've
found several HOWTOs of varying ages, most of which are very involved.

Does anyone know any easy way of doing this, or do I just need to print off a
big HOWTO and work through it?

(I suppose in a way I'm quite surprised there isn't an 'ISP in a box' system,
given Linux's acknowledged usefulness in this sort of area).

--
David Aldred