[Nottingham] Re: lost kde after changing display settings

Peter Woods peterwoods at f2s.com
Thu Jun 30 19:07:06 BST 2005

Sarah Swindell wrote:

> How do I know which Kernal (sic) I'm on?
> Also I only can do "apt - get" as Root - I thought that you weren't
> meant to connect to the internet as Root as it was dangerous?

As far as Nvidia installer is concerned, it will go to the web to try
for a known version of the kernel you are using.
If it can't find one, it will compile what it requires for itself. This
means you have to have the development software for your distro,
including kernel headers. Yes that sounds complicated, but I did it
through Mandrake rpms, which is equivalent to APT.

To be truthfull, I am currently running without Nvidia drivers, because
I couldn't be bothered (when I installed Mandriva what's it called) but
there is another new driver (as of ~22June) so I will go off and fit it now.

Pete