[Nottingham] NTL speed increases

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 17:07:46 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 16:21 +0000, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> which over a day equates to approximately 99 kilobits/sec.
>
> Not very much as a sustained rate, granted, but then [and I am not assuming
> legal or moral precedent here] if people will insist on continually
> downloading
> things which are copyright "someone else", and that "someone else" has the
> capacity, finances and time to wield an ugly legal stick in the
> direction of UK
> ISPs to stop these downloads taking place then it's in the operator's
> interests
> to discourage their users from doing so.

cut it out. you can easily exceed 3Gb a month doing a daily apt-get
upgrade for debian unstable.

I'm sure even a non-geek users could easily exceed it with
video-messenging, online gaming, large e-mail attachments, BBC audio on
demand - all of which are entirely legal.
It's only 15 minutes a day flat out.

Then again it's not exactly much extra for the 1Gig a day limit.

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>
University of Nottingham