[Nottingham] Two interfaces...a discussion from Wednesday

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 18:40:25 GMT 2005

Robert Postill wrote:
[...]
> The problem was that on boot-up the NICs were being assigned the wrong
> interface (eth0, eth1 etc).  Afterwards the NICs had their setting
> reassigned to the correct setting in what was described as a "kludgey
> script"...

Good geekie stuff and an alternative work-around.

However:

I have a number of systems with multiple NICs and... I just juggle the
ethX designations as appropriate. The only interface naming dependencies
are in the ifcfg configs and Shorewall. Everything else should be
referring to whatever IP interface address. (Otherwise, your system
shouldn't be that complicated...)

The only hiccup I've hit was when changing some 100Mb/s NICs to 1Gb/s
NICs. The kernel found them in reverse order to that before!

martin at ml1.co.uk