[Nottingham] Solaris 9 Ping Question

Moses O'Hara cczmoses at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 4 11:49:53 BST 2005

Sorry, quite right about the TTL decrements. Any hoot

I tried making ip_utils, but it shouted at me with the following.

make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 12: Unexpected end of line seen

tried make html as per the docs and got the same thing.

Check the makefile and the endpoint for the $LIBC_INCLUDE reference didn't seem to exist on the filesystem. Tried changing the initial $LIBC_INCLUDE declaration at the beginning of the makefile to /usr/include/sys but it had no affect.  (Code ain't my greatest strength).

I've done a but of Kfind-ing around the machine and can't find the headers it's looking for in the makefile hence looking for a resolution with the existing solaris ping command.

Any ideas anyone?

>>> Graeme Fowler<graeme at graemef.net> 04/05/2005 10:13:22 >>>
On Wed 04 May 2005 08:24:38 BST , Moses O'Hara
<cczmoses at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> ####I'm pritty sure it's the TTL, eberything reports it as the TTL
> value as in
<snip>

I'm guessing here that these two examples come from a Linux or Windows
box, yes?

<snip>
> #### If I use the -s option I get the following
<snip again>

Looks faintly familiar... long time since I used Solaris in anger though.

> My thinking behind it works on the principle that Windows 98/ Win NT
> and Linux all set the TTL values on the Echo's to diffrent values.
> The routes are static so I  can account for any decrements made my
> switching equipment to the TTL. There's currently an ICMP blocking
> policy in force in the switch ACL's with the exception of this one
> Solaris box which can send and recived ICMP packets across all
> subnets.

IP TTLs are *not* decremented by switching. If your source and target
devices have 1, 2, 3, 4 or 25 switches (unlikely, but possible!)
between them then they simply won't care - your source and target
communicate at Layer 3 (of the much-taught OSI model) or above; the
switches are down in Layer 2.
If you have *routers* between source and target, each one decrements
the TTL by 1 (normally...) as each packet traverses it.

Ideas... How about you install GNU Ping instead?

Graeme