[Nottingham] Visual Studio

Jason Cozens jason.cozens at computer.org
Wed May 25 14:45:58 BST 2005

> Anyone know if/how I can view a MS Visual Studio file under Linux?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by an 'MS Visual Studio file'

Visual Studio.Net 2003 works with solutions and projects.
The solution file name is of the form *.sln
It is a text file.
It contains a list of all the projects in the solution.
It also has information for building the solution using the IDE.
Project file names are of the form *.vbproj, csproj etc. for
visual basic and c# respectively.
These are xml files.
The project files contain a list of files in the project in
the Files element:

<Files>
<Include>
<File
RelPath = "AssemblyInfo.vb"
SubType = "Code"
BuildAction = "Compile"
/>
<File
RelPath = "layout.vb"
SubType = "Code"
BuildAction = "Compile"
/>
<File
RelPath = "powerpointbuilder.vb"
SubType = "Code"
BuildAction = "Compile"
/>
<File
RelPath = "pptexportprocess.vb"
SubType = "Code"
BuildAction = "Compile"
/>
<File
RelPath = "designtemplates\dfes\ppt.dot"
BuildAction = "None"
/>
<File
RelPath = "designtemplates\dfes\ppt.xml"
BuildAction = "Content"
/>
<File
RelPath = "designtemplates\dfes\ppt.xslt"
BuildAction = "Content"
/>
</Include>
</Files>

Also in the project files are references to other assemblies,
configuration settings etc.

This looks like quite a good link:

http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/excerpt/vshacks_chap1/?page=4

Jason