[Nottingham] Better than Windows? was: Response on awareness day

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 09:12:53 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 03:27 +0000, Matthew Walster wrote:
> On Thursday 03 November 2005 01:54, Martin wrote:
> > Just someone to say hello and explain that there is something better
> > than Windows is a very useful and good start.
>
> It's only better than Windows to a geek, or to someone who was forced to use
> it for a while.

And if you had worked either of the past two awareness days you'd know
this statement is bollocks.  We have had a wide cross-section of the
population come to the awareness days from families to business folk and
pretty much all of them have gone away better informed and in some many
much more inclined to try Linux, Free and Open source software whether
it is because their kids liked frozen bubble, qemu may have let them
continue to use the legacy DOS software their business depends on or
simply openoffice meant they didn't have to fork out money on MS Office.

The awareness day is a two way thing thou.  Not only does it give us a
chance to enthuse Linux, Free and Open source software at people it
gives them a chance to tell us what they do/don't like about it.  It
also helps us develop those all important communication skills that we
need to get non-geeks to listen and be interested in what we have to
say.

Have fun,
Duncan