[Nottingham] Games on Linux

Michael Simms michael at linuxgamepublishing.com
Thu Nov 3 13:32:24 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 12:46 +0000, Robert Hart wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Simon wrote:
>
> > I was reading a website about Mac OSX for Intel when I found some
> > interesting information. It seems a fair few games companies are
> > wanting to port games to this system. Given that PowerPC macs will be
>
> I'll believe it when it happens. Surely 99.9% of the difficulty in porting
> a game (or anything else for that matter) is down to the operating system
> and not the actual processors.

Very little of the problem is actually the OS itself. Most of the issue
porting is to do with the libraries used. For example Direct3d vs
OpenGL. If you dont use any non-portable libraries, then the job of a
port is mostly building a makefile and sitting back to watch.
There is also an issue with endianness that has affected PPC ports of
games for macos and Linux. With the removal of that barrier, ports to
mac are one step easier than before, which is probably the new big
incentive.

> On the subject of games, though is everybody else playing "battle for
> wesnoth". I think it's the best (by a long shot) open source game I've
> ever played. www.wesnoth.org
>

> Rob

> may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system:

Michael Simms - CEO, Linux Game Publishing
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com