[Nottingham] Better than Windows? was: Response on awareness day

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 19:24:41 GMT 2005

Martin

A lot of truth in your post! I think lots of so called computer users
are really slaves to the machine, getting very limited use from them.
For every user that is cited as not being able to use a linux desktop,
would they be able to fix a problem with a windows machine? Probably
not. Just because windows works out of the box doesn't mean it will work
forever. I'd much rather debug a linux box than a windows one.

At work we have lots of desktops running linux, at home there is only
one ageing win95 box and the rest are linux.

We're considering upgrading to a modern version of windows but I'm
concerned about security. I can provide backed up storage but how to
guard against users clicking and installing things they shouldn't? Maybe
a linux box running a vmware image of windows is the solution. The linux
box can be locked down and when the windows image gets spyware or bloat
it can just be re-initialised (a lot faster than reinstalling)

-Cam
--

                                                                      <--
camilo at mesias.co.uk