[Nottingham] Better than Windows? was: Response on awareness day

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Nov 3 21:46:26 GMT 2005

Martin wrote:
> Yes, I'm still amazed at how very long the Windows installs take!

I was impressed too; about 25 minutes with a recent cpu, modern amount
of memory, and fast disks.  It's the fast disks that helps the most.
That's from inserting the cd into the drive, until having sp2 installed.

Debian shaves a good five minutes off that, excluding kernel recompile.

We install Debian in about 4 minutes at work (standard minimal base
install), and Windows in about 15 - ah, Acronis is lovely.

-a