[Nottingham] Response on awareness day

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Fri Nov 4 12:32:46 GMT 2005

On Fri 04 Nov 2005 12:05:47 GMT , Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
> Aside: The offlist mail has been more supportive than not. And those
> commenting over on the LUGradio forum last showed their faces here at
> a meeting/social when?...

OK, great, so some people have supported you privately and others have
publically berated you for berating others. This is a democracy after
all, we all have our opinions and some sit one side, some the other,
some in the middle.

But will you (and everyone else) just shut up about physically
attending meetings? The last one I attended was in 2001, I seem to
recall (although I have offered support, help and equipment for events
held since on more than one occasion either directly or indirectly),
but that doesn't make my postings to the list any more or less valuable
than anybody else's. That goes for everybody.

I've tried very, very hard to be as non-judgemental as possible over
the course of this whole ridiculous flame fest, to provide a balanced
viewpoint and to try as much as I can to act as the voice of reason.
What's now frustrating is that - no matter how many times you or others
say to leave it all alone - you're dragging up the same old arguments
again and again.

Everyone - stop it. It's boring, the viewpoints are entrenched and
opposed, and it's all a complete waste of time and bandwidth. And none
of it looks any good to any potential subscribers to the list who might
chance on the archives before deciding to subscribe, or to those
lurkers looking for help in future. Imagine how some of the less
experienced members of the list will feel now before posting a question
- "Am I allowed to? Will I get flamed? Is this too trivial?".

In my opinion (as many have pointed out, I am entitled to it after all)
this whole argument has reflected very badly on the Nottingham LUG *as
a whole*. Whether you're a regular poster or a hardened meeting
organiser, we collectively look like arseholes to the rest of the world
now (for we are all "NLUG" or "NottsLUG" regardless of personal
commitment, posting statistics, signal/noise ratio or meeting
attendance record), and this fact is available online for the entire
world to see. Congratulations.

Can I ask, politely, that we just all stop it?

Graeme