[Nottingham] Challenge-Response systems

Richard Morris richard at tannery.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 18:27:36 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 November 2005 11:44, Martin wrote:

> One example: NASA now give email addresses as jpg graphics. Where do you
> want the pain? Manually typing in an address or an extra two mouse clicks?

Actually they don't always, certainly not on their main contact page where
they use standard text, and mailto: links.

http://www.nasa.gov/about/contact/index.html

I think it is discourteous to ask anyone who is considerate enough to send an
email to take additional steps to ensure that a mailserver will accept the
message. Because of this I dislike Challenge-Response systems and much perfer
mail servers that use a mixture of grey listing, collaborative and Bayesian
filters, header tests and custom filters.

Richard