[Nottingham] 26 October 2005 - Microsoft admits it can no longer compete

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sun Nov 6 14:19:12 GMT 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 01:06:09AM +0000, Martin wrote:
> "Microsoft has admitted that it is incapable of implementing the open
> document standards freely published by the OASIS group."

> "Generally, the two Democrats argue that the OpenDocument approach
> will unfairly block Microsoft from much of the state’s electronic
> documents business."
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/46202/index.html

An interesting counter point is at:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/index.php?p=1509

And some news sources from real sources are at:
http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=173403257
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1281882 (the AP article)

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php/97021 lists some of
the apps that will save to ODF.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1856854,00.asp is another
interesting commentary including:
	``I am not sure what the real problem is with using Microsoft
	file formats. No, they are not open, but they aren't completely
	closed, either.

	There are a number of non-Microsoft apps that support them. That
	makes Microsoft file formats "open enough" for many users.''

Wikipedia have a good article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
on the format and related issues.

(Today, Matthew, I will be reading the web for you... ;))

All in all, quite interesting.

It's interesting that it's brought such a low-level mundane issue (to
general users) to the forefront given it's one of the keystones of
freedom of information and software.  It's interesting that Free
Software's support of proprietary formats is highlighted as a reason
/against/ using free and open formats/standards.  It's also interesting
to see people come out in support of MS and closed formats as the de
facto "standards" even if they aren't open.

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/      "Everybody, everybody's /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/       dead, everybody's dead /**