[Nottingham] News from the Church Office

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Nov 10 23:31:38 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 22:35 +0000, Michael Leuty wrote:

> First, should we set up a separate NFS server on the server or connect
> the
> Ubuntu machine to the Samba server used by the Windows clients?

I have found both work pretty much as well as each other, I use both. I
preferentially use NTFS but thats simply because I understand it a bit
better. NFTS is also easier to be more secure than samba (in my
experience)

> Secondly, should we transfer the entire user's home directory to the
> server, or simply a "Documents" subdirectory within it? In other
> words,
> are Linux clients happy with having the user's home directory on a
> server?

I have had my home directory on another machine for a long time. The
only downside is that if the server goes down, the client machine will
be rather restricted in what it can do, things like ls will just hang,
so it may confuse newbies that dont understand why. As long as either
the server doesnt crash or the users are educated, its no problem.

In reality, linux doesnt care HOW a filesystem is mounted. It just deals
with a directory as a directory and doesnt care if it is mounted via NFS
SMB or is a CD or DVD in a drive, its all the same.
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com