[Nottingham] A show of hands for the LAN party please

Michael Simms michael at linuxgamepublishing.com
Thu Oct 6 16:54:15 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 20:42 +0100, Michael wrote:
> All,
>
> Let's get an idea of attendance and machine numbers. I'm providing the
> LAN so I'd like to know in advance! I have a couple of 24 port switches
> and a lot of cables plus extra CAT5, plugs, and a crimp tool! Sadly, the
> Cisco Enterprise switch hasn't worked since the last LAN party... strange!

I'll be there, not been around much the last few weeks, been out of the
country and then out of town, busier than a - well, a very busy thing.

I'll show up with my big bag-o-games that may this time get opened {:-)
Anyone going past sneinton feel like driving past my house would be most
welcome!

I can bring a wireless switch with dhcp if we want, if someone else has
one I wont bother as I'll have enough to carry.

> I'm not providing the WAN/WAP but I can provide a firewall box running
> Devil Linux. I assume we'll be using the 192.168.1.0/24 private address
> range -- I can't imagine we'll have > 250 boxen! -- I'll set up DHCP and
> DNS forwarding to whatever WAN/WAP device we get hold of and there'll be
> a simple iptables ruleset providing nat.
>
> Anyone want to host an official intranet httpd? We could each provide
> shared data with individual Samba/ftpd/whathaveyou.
>
> Just some random thoughts upon which we can get thinking.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Erskine.

Michael Simms - CEO, Linux Game Publishing
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com