[Nottingham] Tar backups

Alex Herington alex at fnet.nu
Tue Oct 11 16:36:25 BST 2005

Martin wrote:
> If you're saving the tar file onto a vfat/FAT32 partition, then you've
> got the 2GB max file size limit. You need to split up your archiving
> into smaller multiple tar files, which is a good idea in any case.
>
> ntfs can handle larger files, but then again, very large tar files are
> slow and cumbersome due to their sequential access.

Ahh! Thanks Roger and Martin :)

Yes, it sounds like the filesystem type is most likely to be the
problem. I know the tar version supports large files and it's a fairly
recent version of Debian. Tar's saving to an SMB mount, although I
*think*  the NAS drive is running embedded Linux. I can't seem to find a
definitive answer regarding if there are file size limitations with
Samba/SMB.

Hmm.