[Nottingham] Why a spontaneous restart?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 16:29:35 BST 2005

Martin Garton wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:41 +0100, Martin wrote:
>
>>Any ideas as to what might cause this?
>
> Running memtest at this point of usually a good idea. Sometimes memtest
> passes everything and still I have solved problems by trying alternative
> memory.

Yep. A good further test is the GIMPS mprime95 torture test to 100% load
the CPU and thrash a bit of memory.

As ever, I'm too busy at the moment to diagnose. I'm winging it until
later. At least ReiserFS did its stuff and nothing got scrambled (that
I've noticed thus far).

> Have you updated kernel recently?

Good guess, but no. No changes for well over a week! (/That/ long? Mmmm,
I'm slowing up :-/ )

martin at ml1.co.uk