[Nottingham] Postfix - again...

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat Oct 15 15:36:32 BST 2005

I had trouble with this before, and now I've got it again....

Just installed Mandriva 2006, and very nice indeed - more or less everything
obvious and out-of-the-box stuff.

But I'm back with a problem getting Postfix to deliver mail off-site.   If I'm
logged on as root, I can do

mail david

and the mail is there for me when I log on as david - no problem internally,
then.

But if I do

mail david at familyaldred.org.uk

the mail gets into the mailq, then disappears.  No error messages that I can
find, so Postfix seems to think it's done its stuff.   But I don't get it
back when I gather mail for david at familyladred.org.uk from the ISP (and other
mail for that address is delivering to me normally).

telnet localhost 25  provides

  Trying 127.0.0.1...
  Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
  Escape character is '^]'.
  220 main.familyaldred.org.uk ESMTP Postfix (2.2.5) (Mandriva Linux)

...so the smtp service is there and running.

/etc/postfix/main.cf reads:

# These are only the parameters changed from a default install
# see /etc/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, fuller version of this file.

# These are changed by postfix install script
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.5/README_FILES
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.5/html
setgid_group = postdrop
command_directory = /usr/sbin
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
mail_owner = postfix

# User configurable parameters

inet_interfaces = localhost
mynetworks_style = host
delay_warning_time = 4h
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) (Mandriva Linux)
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
smtp-filter_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
lmtp-filter_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
smtpd_sasl_path = /etc/postfix/sasl:/usr/lib/sasl2
relayhost=smtp.ntlworld.com

--
David Aldred