[Nottingham] Strange random reboot problem with Mandriva 2006

Peter Aldred peteraldred at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:32:47 BST 2005

On 17/10/05, Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Peter Aldred wrote:
>
> > My first thought was a power-saving mode problem causing a hang, but I think
> > I've switched it all off, both in KDE and Mandriva Control. I haven't checked
> > the BIOS yet, that's my next step.
>
> What screensaver do you have set up? I've seen a number of hangs with
> fullscreen OpenGL hacks, due to flaky drivers.

I am using an OpenGL screensaver, the default fireworks one. I'll try
disabling/changing that and see how it goes. I did think it might be
that, and started and stopped the screen saver several times to try
and force a reboot, but nothing went wrong - I suppose it might be a
driver problem that only manifests when it tries to render a
particular combination of fireworks all at once, or something like
that.

Thanks,
--
Pete