[Nottingham] [Talk] ***TODAY*** Wed 19/10/2005 Voice over IP {ML}

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 16:09:02 BST 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Michael Erskine wrote:

> OT: some Linux to raise the SNR (and keep _some_ people happy): I don't bother
> with "tail -f" anymore - I now use "less -S +F". In fact I alias lam='less -S
> +F /var/log/messages'. It allows me to stop the tail (C-c) and grep forwards,
> backwards, vi, you name it. Then to follow again, just use "F"

Just had a flick through the less man page. Hopefully when utf-8 becomes a
bit more standard, they'll be able to get past the limit of only using
upper and lower case latin for command line options, by using greek and
cyrillic as well!

For bonus points, whilst we're on the subject, why to head and tail not
work in exactly the same way? (i.e. you can do tail +10 but not head +10)

Rob