[Nottingham] REading filesystem into MySQL query

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 12:09:39 BST 2005

Downes, David 02 wrote:
> This as a bit of a late reply to the MySQL query thread! I had a
> similar problem where I needed to sort a few gig of files.  There
> were lots of duplicates I wanted to delete, it was a one off job so I
[---]
> #!/usr/bin/env python # Simple python utility to create a list of
> files by recursively descending
[---]

Thanks for the code example. I think we should sort out our website (->
wiki) revamp and add a 'useful utilities' section (and have a past talks
section) if people are interested.

As for finding duplicate files... I once did this as a one-off using
"du" to generate a file list with sizes and then "sort" to find the
duplicates on name and size. I guess "md5sum" could be used to avoid
file name dependence...

OK, who can do that as a one-liner?

martin at ml1.co.uk