[Nottingham] Wireless routers

Ashley ashley.arb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:48:11 BST 2005

> (Staying wired inhouse! 11Mbits phah! Go for the Gbits!)

Yes, copper wires are faster, more secure, cheaper and more reliable
than the radio waves option, but a certain person wants a wireless
connection to their laptop.

I can see that wireless could be slightly more convenient (when it
works) and there is a slight risk of someone tripping over an Ethernet
cable trailing out of a laptop.  I suggested breaking the locking tab
off the cable so it would just pull out rather than pull the laptop on
the floor, but the freedom to easily roam around the house argument
still stands.

As far as I am concerned it will be an interesting learning experience
at zero cost to me!  (excluding my time)

Advice so far is useful (thanks) but does anyone have any
recommendations for specific wireless hardware?

I need to check the specs of the laptops wireless adaptor which I
think is built in (presumably the worst option for signal strength?).

Thanks,
Ashley