[Nottingham] [Talk] ***TODAY*** Wed 19/10/2005 Voice over IP {ML}

Simon Amor simon at leaky.org
Fri Oct 21 18:28:37 BST 2005

On 21 Oct 2005, a different Simon wrote:

> I shall keep this on-topic by suggesting to look at Gizmo rather than
> Skype. Gizmo follows the SIPphone standard, not the closed-standard of
> Skype (which definately won't be opened up now it's been bought by
> ebay)

Since you didn't mention it, and to save googling.. the url for Gizmo
is http://www.gizmoproject.com/

It works nicely under both Windows and Mac OSX, not tried the Linux
version. I've used it to call another Gizmo user in Spain, and also
to call a landline in the USA, both times the quality sounded as good
as a normal phonecall. The instant messaging part is interesting,
sends to jabber addresses which can be contacts in your Gizmo
addressbook.

    Simon
--
Simon Amor