[Nottingham] forums.planetnottslug.org

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 14:05:24 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:12 +0100, Michael Erskine wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 12:25, Kenneth Huggins wrote:
> > All of the above Paul !  As a Linux Virgin my problem at the moment is
> > setting up my first installation ... I have the latest Ubuntu version but
> > don't want it to overwrite the existing OS (Windoze) and files.  I have a
> > separate hard drive, so plan to run Linux on that, but when I began the
> > installation it didn't seem to be about to ask me where I wanted to install
> > it ... instead it just got on with installing something and I pulled the
> > plug just in case it was about to wipe my old stuff.
> >
> > Can anybody out there help / advise ?!
> Without looking at the Ubuntu installer I can't really say which hard drive it
> was installing to. The sure-fire no-brainer way is to disconnect the hard
> drive you want to preserve.

That may not be such a good idea, as you will then need to manually
install a boot loader after you have reconnected the hard drive.

I've never installed Ubuntu from scratch - I think it uses the
debian-installer tho, which I have - but I'm pretty sure it wont do
something as silly as that. Are you sure it was actually installing
stuff, and not just loading whatever it needed in order to prepare for
the installation.

The ubuntu wiki says you get asked about partitioning and/or erasing of
drives quite early on in the installation.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/I386

Rob

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>