[Nottingham] NottsLUG forums.

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Oct 27 17:14:23 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 08:47 +0100, paul at paulmellors.net wrote:
> Well it seems to me, and i know i'm going to get moaned at for saying this,
> that people make great suggestions, then nothing happens with them, or
> theres no
> real interest so the idea dies.  Do we need some kind of commitee that will
> make a list of ideas and suggestions, and start to act on them? I understand
> one was being voted for, but what happened with that?  Has that died too? I
> know people work and have lifes [spelling?] outside of the group, but apart
> from the meets and the awareness days, this group only seems to survive from
> the posts people make to the mailing list!   Please bear in mind, i am new to
> this LUG and obviously dont really know the ins and out of it, and what
> happens
> behind the scenes or [to be honest] what the hell im talking about lol

You ARE right in many ways because I think for most people the LUG isnt
a high priority in life. However from personal experience this IS one of
the best LUGS Ive seen. Colchester lug died the first time I showed up,
reading LUG is just a meeting a month in a pub that doesnt like
outsiders...
OK so things like SVLug beat us hands down (Silicon Valley LUG) but they
are SUPPOSED to, they have 10 times as many members. Id say in the UK we
are one of the best.

I don't see the committees job as *doing* all the work but I do see
their job as to push for other LUG members to do it, to be a driving
force behind the LUG to make people get off their arses and do what
needs doing.

I don't know what would be the best way to do this without getting
peoples backs up, but I think it would be a good idea that they start
pushing things forwards. Like the awareness day. The only meeting we've
had about it was cos Duncan (who didnt want to be on the committee) set
up a meeting to which two other people showed up. Not really inspiring,
but it was an effort. I know that others have done things like that in
the past and it has helped. Maybe there should be a monthly admin
meeting' where instead of going to the pub/restaurant/talk we go to a
persons house, and those that want to help push things forward can do
so.
On the other hand that then means a 3 day a week commitment from people
and thats starting to become a hassle rather than the fun it should be.

Thoughts?
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com