[Nottingham] NottsLUG forums.

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 21:33:03 BST 2005

Michael Simms wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 08:47 +0100, paul at paulmellors.net wrote:
>
>>Well it seems to me, and i know i'm going to get moaned at for saying this,
>>that people make great suggestions, then nothing happens with them, or
>>theres no
>>real interest so the idea dies.  Do we need some kind of commitee that will
>>make a list of ideas and suggestions, and start to act on them? I understand
>>one was being voted for, but what happened with that?

Volunteer onto the nlug_geeks list and kick arse! We need it!!

>>Has that died too? I

Nope, alive and kicking but only in irregular time slices.

>>know people work and have lifes [spelling?] outside of the group, but apart
>>from the meets and the awareness days, this group only seems to survive from
>>the posts people make to the mailing list!   Please bear in mind, i am new to
>>this LUG and obviously dont really know the ins and out of it, and what
>>happens
>>behind the scenes or [to be honest] what the hell im talking about lol

There are a few things ongoing behind the scenes trying to persuade
people or sorting out venues.

More visible enthusiasm is always welcome.

Is it just that our group are predominantly already very Linux aware and
all are very cosy doing their own thing with little interest in
expanding further?

[---]
> I don't see the committees job as *doing* all the work but I do see
> their job as to push for other LUG members to do it, to be a driving
> force behind the LUG to make people get off their arses and do what
> needs doing.

And its a fine line between enthusing to get a response and treading
over into the "dark force" of dictating and scaring people away...

Are we too scary?

> Thoughts?

We've already got a very good hard core of enthusiasts. What would be
good would be to enthuse the much wider group of Linux enthusiasts to
jump in to be involved in just one or two (or even new) events each year.

One thing I've had a couple of requests for is an "introduction to
Linux" course for those wanting to try Linux or convert to Linux. If we
did this, would we have more than two people turn up?

Other ideas/requests?

martin at ml1.co.uk