[Nottingham] Connect 3D Radeon 7000 AGP and Five Button Mouse info

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Oct 27 23:12:22 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 18:03 +0100, Robert Hart wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 17:14 +0100, Michael Simms wrote:
> > Id advise against any ATI card. nvidia cards work a LOT better under
> > Linux
> >
> > On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 15:12 +0100, Tony Shaw wrote:
> > > Hello to one and all,
> > >
> > > I am currently looking to upgrade my system and I was wondering if a
> > > Connect 3D Radeon 7000 32MB AGP graphics card (it uses the ATI chipset,)
> > > would work with MDK 9.2.
>
> On the other hand isn't a Radeon7000 series supported by open source
> drivers, and therefore a big win over both nVidia and the more recent
> ATIs?
>
> I could be wrong. Graphics cards confuse me.
>
> Rob

It depends what you want. If you want open source over usefulness, then
both nvidia and ATI have open source drivers. If you want drivers that
make it worth buying a graphics card newer than 4 years old, you dont
want to touch the open source drivers.

Example:
nvidia open source drivers on a new 3d game: 1 frame per 2 or 3 seconds
nvidia closed drivers on the same game: 120 FPS

Really, its not even comparable in any meaningful way.

Personally I dont see the problem with closed source for things like
that. Its not locking you into anything, its not doing anything immoral.
They arent charging you more for using their drivers.

Personally, operating systems and file formats, those are the two things
I feel are evil to be closed, anything else by default, has to be on a
level playing field and only the best product wins.
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com