[Nottingham] samba configuration

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 15:40:32 BST 2005

I use samba to share my home directory (amongst other things) so that I
can access my files from Windows 2000 machines.

Although everything works, it is horribly slow. Not when actually reading
or writing files, but when doing things like browsing with Explorer, or
refreshing a folder.

Looking at the samba log, I can see that for every filesystem access,
there a large number of authentication checks, typically six attempts at
user nobody, which fail with NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD, followed by a
success with my user name. However, this all repeats multiple times over.

Any tips or pointers?

Rob

--

_/oo-OOOO-oo' !oo!!oo!=`!o!o!----!o!o!'=`!o!o!----!o!o!'=`!o!o--o!o!'