[Nottingham] NTL cable modem

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 11:18:09 BST 2005

Michael Leuty wrote:
[---]
> Hmm. Recently there have been several occasions on which my NTL
> connection has been lost, fixed by rebooting the modem. Is this a
> common occurrence or should I speak to support? <Awaits hoots of
> raucous laughter.>

Never happened here.

Even for a couple of occasions when 'planned work' was being done
overnight and the connection was chopped, the modem kept trying until
the link came back up later in the morning. Mandriva automatically
picked up the link on the very next dhcp request.

(Very cleverly, the modem gives a very short lease time when the link is
down, so you soon get an IP address oncemore.)

Check for dodgy electrical connections first.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk