[Nottingham] printing - cups to windows

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 5 14:10:52 BST 2005

I'm trying to get my linux laptop to print to a shared hp940C on a winXP
machine currently shared with a direct network cable connection - right now I
don't have the time to migrate this box to linux...

The printer works fine, and will share with the same laptop if booted in
windows, so it looks as though the sharing is configured ok. I can browse to
shared folders on the server machine with smb, so it looks as though file
sharing is working ok. Trouble is, I can't get the b*gg*r to print from
linux.

I've been trying to add it using the cups web interface, but this doesn't
appear to test the connection. The KDEprint wizard gets as far as testing the
printer, then requests a username and password and trys to print a test page
if I give root... then... nothing from the printer.

I'm in the process of trawling google/cups/linuxprinting but does anyone have
any idea in the meantime. I think I like the look of cups for windows, as
I've had success with IPP in the past, but that doesn't appear to be
available yet....

Cheers,

Dave