[Nottingham] Consumer notes

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Sat Sep 10 12:27:47 BST 2005

You have to admire a software company that stakes its future on a new
product that will require 2Gb RAM to work properly. No doubt the extra
space is required for yet more features with which their products
already bristle.

I was using their word processor at work yesterday, and as my typing
drew near to the bottom right corner of the screen a balloon popped up,
obscuring the text. This is clearly a new helpful feature to improve my
touch-typing, and I'm disappointed that the chaps at GNOME didn't catch
on to this first. The balloon said "Help us to improve Office", which
is surely gracious modesty on their part. The only improvement I can
think of is to make the balloon so large as to cover the entire screen,
which would improve both my touch-typing skills and my memory.

Meanwhile, back home where the computing experience is less rich, I have
installed SuSE 10.0 RC1. I figured this would probably be about as
stable as a Mandrake final release.  ;-)
It does seem to work really well, but I have found a few oddities on the
GNOME desktop. There is no "Run" option on the Applications menu, the
"blank" screensaver is white rather than black, and I can't find an
option for screen power management. Is this normal for version 2.12, or
is there some problem with the SuSE implementation thereof which I
ought to report to the authorities?

(This is the non-geek list, right?  :-)

--
Michael Leuty