[Nottingham] Postfix problem...

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Sep 12 18:19:25 BST 2005

On Monday 12 Sep 2005 08:49, Martin wrote:
> David Aldred wrote:
> [---]
>
> > Good spot - I did have /etc/hosts incorrectly set up.  The 192.168.8.11
> > line (which is this machine) read
>
> Have you also copied that over to the postfix chroot root?

I hadn't, but doing so achieved no change.

> A good check is to try as root:
>
> postfix check
>
> Postfix is usually well set up on Mandriva at least with sensible defaults.

No errors reported (well, nothing at all reported, so presumably no errors!)

I've got some sort of fix, albeit one I'm not entirely happy with, and which
isn't entirely working.  I've gone through master.cf and taken everything out
of chroot operation.

That has solved things to the extent that mail is now leaving the machine -
albeit I don't understand why it stopped in the first place.

However, now it doesn't get accepted by the receiving host:

<david at familyaldred.org.uk>: host server4.sohoservers.net[82.113.133.69] said:
    553 5.1.8 <david at main.familyaldred.org.uk>... Domain of sender address
    david at main.familyaldred.org.uk does not exist (in reply to MAIL FROM
    command)

Aaargh.....  presumably I could get round this by renaming the machine as
familyaldred.org.uk (which does have an MX address), though in many ways I'd
prefer not to (as it fouls up a number of internal things on the network!).

Back to that chroot issue.   Am I understanding this correctly: postfix
changes the root (/) location to one 'inside' its own directory structure,
and looks for all it needs there?  If so, it seems to be missing a lot of
libraries - and again I simply don't know what happened to the system that
was working!

Could it be permissions somewhere?  In the /var/spool/postfix directory, ls
-la returns

[root at main postfix]# ls -la
total 72
drwxr-xr-x  18 root    root     4096 Sep 12 17:53 ./
drwxr-xr-x  12 root    root     4096 Sep  2 08:43 ../
drwx------  17 postfix root     4096 Sep 10 11:00 active/
drwx------  16 postfix root     4096 Sep 12 17:58 bounce/
drwx------   2 postfix root     4096 Mar 16 09:42 corrupt/
drwx------   5 postfix root     4096 Sep 10 19:17 defer/
drwx------   9 postfix root     4096 Sep 10 18:57 deferred/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root    root     4096 Sep 12 17:18 etc/
drwxr-xr-x   2 postfix root     4096 Mar 16 09:42 extern/
drwx------   2 postfix root     4096 Mar 16 09:42 flush/
drwx------   2 postfix root     4096 Mar 16 09:42 hold/
drwx------  17 postfix root     4096 Sep 12 18:03 incoming/
drwx-wx---   2 postfix postdrop 4096 Sep 12 18:03 maildrop/
drwxr-xr-x   2 postfix root     4096 Sep 11 12:01 pid/
drwx------   2 postfix root     4096 Sep 11 21:32 private/
drwx--x---   2 postfix postdrop 4096 Sep 11 21:32 public/
drwx------   2 postfix root     4096 Sep  3 09:26 saved/
drwx------   2 postfix root     4096 Mar 16 09:42 trace/

(It complains if etc is not owned by root).

Still struggling.....

--
David Aldred