[Nottingham] [Talk] *TODAY* TUESDAY 20/09/2005 Guest Speaker: WiFi Across Nottingham

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 13:55:19 BST 2005

Martin wrote:
[---]
>>> We are very honoured to have a guest speaker to present various
>>> adventures and fun for how a WiFi ISP is quickly spreading across
>>> Nottingham and throughout the UK.
>>>
>>> See: http://ineedbroadband.co.uk/
>>>

>>> WiFi Across Nottingham and Beyond
>>>
>>> Adrian Robinson
>>> ADR Communications

And a very good fun interesting talk too, all built on Linux systems.

Also a reasonable turnout considering our change of day.

A few comments from there that I thought were rather apt (paraphrased):

"You don't run Microsoft when it costs [hundreds] of pounds to get to
the box to hit reset."

"Urgent installations in less than four hours and no need for wires or
wooden poles."

"But you need wires for broadband don't ya?"

"Just give'em a rubber duck & mag-mount. The boaties love it!"

"We do a lot of fixing-up for people from (certain other telco's) cock-ups"

"Who's this naan net?"

One thought from all that lot was how important good GRAPHICAL
interfaces are for monitoring and controlling any medium to large
system, even for the most ardent of commandline warriors.

Many thanks to Adrian for the talk and online live demonstrations.

All so interesting that we nearly missed the pub! Thanks to Alex for
keeping the venue open late.

Cheers all,

martin at ml1.co.uk