[Nottingham] ATI Radeon 7000 info

David Luff David.Luff at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 15:22:37 BST 2005

On 22/09/2005 at 13:28 Tony Shaw wrote:

>Hello to one and all,
>
>I have recently seen on EBUYER an ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI graphics
>card for £21.28. I am currently using and old Cirrus Logic GD5446 2MB
>graphics card & my system does not have an AGP slot, so could anyone
>tell me if the ATI Radeon 7000 cards are compatible with MDK 9.2 or not.

Although I can't answer that in a Mandrake specific way, I've used a Radeon
7200 in the past on Libranet 2.0 with no problem - it was autodetected
during install and hardware acceleration worked out-of-the-box.  The
earlier Radeons such as the 7xxx seem to work fine with the open-source
drivers including hardware acceleration - it's the later and more fancy
one's (9800 etc) where you might need ATI's binary drivers which seem to be
somewhat buggy compared to NVidia's binary drivers from what I've
heard(disclaimer - I've switched to NVidia cards now so don't know
definitively / memory could be failing etc etc!).

Note that the Voodoo card I mentioned earlier technically has OpenGL
hardware acceleration that works on Linux, but due to it's age and the fact
it was obsolete when new a lot of current games simply won't run on it at
all due to issues such as texture size limitation, 16 bit pixel depth when
accelerated, etc.

Cheers - Dave