[Nottingham] Linux -> Mobile Phone or SIM card

Devin Giddings ppxadg at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 18:12:31 BST 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 04:39:20PM +0100, Martin wrote:

> Anyone had any success talking to their mobile phone via Bluetooth?
>
> Is there an easy way to enter phonebook details onto the phone or
> directly onto the SIM card?

I managed to get my Symbian based SE P900 to talk to my computer via a
USB bluetooth dongle.

I can't remember the details exactly, but I do recall it being a bit of
a pain.

The general gist was first using obextool to push the nfsapp on the
phone. I could then use that with p3nfs to mount the phone and browse
its filesystem. However, I ended up having to use two different PCs
with different distros to get this going, as the packages with these
tools were either not available or not working well.

If you use kde or gnome then there are gui bluetooth frameworks being
developed for both, which may be a bit easier.

My only interest in this was sticking a copy of doom on the phone, so I
didn't try messing with the phonebook. I highly doubt that access to the
SIM is possible, but the phonebook should be accessible is it is stored
in memory, as in the case of the P900.

Regards,

Devin
--