[Nottingham] Flame-free Desktop War

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 20:53:04 BST 2005

Michael wrote:
> But that doesn't give you a proper Gnome or KDE experience: one of the
> issues is how well the one supports apps from the other. I think it's
> unrealistic to run either Gnome or KDE exclusively - and besides,
> there's masses of apps that both will be using that come from neither.

Hmm, food for thought. I haven't run a desktop with a mixture of app's
for a long time and perhaps that's why I've started to become jaded by
the "Linux desktop experience" (TM), which in turn prompted this
comparison...
In all honesty I haven't run any KDE since Ubuntu came out and haven't
run the whole KDE DE since some way old version on Suse 8.

Recent screen shots of KDE 3.4/3.5 have piqued my interest, as has the
reputation of K3B and Konqueror.

Definitely worth thinking about

> Just my £0.02

And thanks for them Michael! I'm currently downloading Suse 10 RC1 (SuSE
was the first Linux distro I seriously used) and think I will try
installing everything and mixing and matching app's and DE's. Then I can
find an environment with everything I want and settle on a DE with
window managers etc. that work for me.

I'll let you guys know how I get on!

P.S: anyone found Kubuntu hard to use? Many of the dialogues etc. don't
fit on my screen (1200x800) and the button to give me root access in
config dialogues only seems to work about 1 in 10. Hence trying to
download Suse.

Sorry for the long mail,

Josh