[Nottingham] Mail threads (Was: sed question)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 11:57:39 BST 2005

[---]
>      > _This_ is a new thread :)
>      >
>      > If in doubt, read the headers
>
>     You mean this bit?

>     <mailto:43358A83.5030604 at tecspy.com>>
[---]

>     Unfortunately gmail only designates threads based on the subject line.
>     If you change the subject then gmail thinks it is a new thread.
>

> as do most other email programs :)

Which is bad lazy programming in my opinion.

Following the references through the headers is the more correct. They
show if you really do hit "reply" rather than use "new" for your post.

You could have two or more completely different threads with the same
subject for example. How would gmail untangle multiple threads about
"invalid users": One thread being about /etc/passwd problems and a
second being about desktop usability issues... Same subject title, very
different threads.

My change of subject title on this reply will nicely confuse gmail's
working...

Hey folks, lets not slip into MS-esq foggy laziness and sloppiness!

Aside: Having said that, how do you switch the locale on Thunderbird
from USA to UK English?!

martin at ml1.co.uk